Peace Tales give voice to peace, kindness, compassion and hope. By sharing
stories, poetry and music gathered from around the world and recorded on
compact disc, Peace Tales reveal surprising solutions to common conflicts in
homes, schools and communities through the magic of story.
New Mexico bilingual storyteller Sarah Malone,
recorded the CD Holding Up the Sky: Peace Tales for Kids,
drawing on tales from diverse folk traditions, storytellers and writers. Stories
reflect cultures from many lands - Africa, China, Germany, India, Greece, Brazil,
Mexico, the Southwestern United States and Appalachia. A variety of musical
accompaniment to the stories makes for a delightful listening experience.
Distributed under the auspices of a nonprofit organization, 100% of profits
from CD sales were donated to the Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children,
an agency that serves women and children affected by armed conflict; and
Peace Talks Radio - a forum for peacemaking and nonviolent solutions.
As of May 2012, the umbrella agency for Peace Tales is closing, drawing an end to
the "Peace Tales Project" as well. Sarah Malone continues to be available
as a storyteller for listeners of all ages - young and old alike - providing both
peace tales and other stories drawn from worldwide storytelling traditions as well as
from her life experience. A limited number of Peace Tales CDs continue to be
available directly from the storyteller.
Upcoming Story Events with Sarah Malone:
- Monthly Event: La Vida Llena Story Swap with Sarah Malone - meets every
fourth Friday of the month from 6:15-8 pm at La Vida Llena Retirement Community,
10501 Lagrima de Oro, NE, Albuquerque, NM. Free and open to the public. Join us
in the chapel, off the main foyer. Information: contact Sarah Malone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, November 22: 6:30-8:00 PM - Sarah Malone produces a Tellabration event at La Vida Llena Retirement Community, 10501 Lagrima de Oro, Albuquerque under the auspices of Storytellers of New Mexico. Free and open to the public.
- Saturday, November 23: 11 a. m. - 12 p.m. - Tall Tales and African Yarns: Sarah Malone performs with musical instruments, masks and gesture at the Cherry Hills Library, 6901 Barstow, NE, ALbuquerque, NM 87111 Information: (505) 505-857-8321. Free & Open to Public
- Sunday, November 24: 4-6 PM - Sarah Malone performs at Tellabration, a Worldwide Storytelling event sponsored by Storytellers of New Mexico in Association with the National Storytelling Network.,
held at the Adobe Theater, 9313 4th St., NW, Albuquerque, NM. Free and open to the public. (Donations accepted to support STNM.)
Peace Tales Highlights
- Winner of Storytelling World Resource Award, 2004 for "The Tale of Mussa and Nagib," selected from over 3,000 entries that year.
- Sarah was Featured Speaker at the Committee to Teach about the United Nations, New York, 2004.
- The New Mexico Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers awarded Sarah Malone the
prestigious Social Worker of the Year Award for 2004, citing her many accomplishments in the
field of social work, including her volunteer work in creating the Peace Tales project.
- Classroom Curriculum Guide to accompany the Holding Up The Sky CD, with sales also benefitting peace causes (out of print).
- Plowshares: Inspired by the success of Peace Tales, a troupe of four storytellers forms in 2005.
- Peace Tales donated $36,000 for peace causes from 2004 - 2012: Half each to Peace Talks Radio and
The Women's Commission for Refugee Women and Children
- Additional Donations: $3,000 for a women's development project in Zambia in Sub-Saharan Southeast
Africa, $1,000 for Peace Houses in Viet Nam, and $500 for a rural New Mexico food pantry.
- May 2012 - The Peace Tales project draws to an end, with storyteller, Sarah Malone, continuing her storytelling in the community.